Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Great Grandma Dudley

Monday, August 17th, 2009

I had heard from a few family members that my Grandma Dudley's Alzheimer's was getting pretty bad. I wanted a picture of her with both kids so that hopefully they'll want to know about her one day. So my Mom was kind enough to come with me to visit her at her care facility in Citrus Heights. We were lucky to catch her on a pretty good day, but I couldn't get a good picture of her with the kids. I don't know how much longer she'll live.....days, months, years. Alzheimer's is a strange disease that is brutal to family members. Mom and her siblings are having to watch Grandma digress and eventually she may not even recognize them.

She was always a wonderful Grandma. Eccentric in her own ways, partial to all females and always loved the kids. She believed that women could do all and have all in this day in age. My Dad was always quick to debrief me after stays at Grandma's house. Despite many people thinking that she was feminist, she said the most humble, beautiful, heartfelt prayers that I have ever heard. She was lively, social, and affectionate. And while she loved clothes, lipstick and perfume she was a great athlete. How she balanced that, I do not know. But I know there is a picture of her pitching the softball with a fashionable outfit, beehive hair and lipstick on. Although she physically is still here, I miss her spunk and laugh. She was always fun to stay with and you never quite knew what she was going to say. The first time she met Jared she grabbed ahold of his arms and told me that if I didn't marry him that she was going to. He was shocked. I don't think we had even talked about it at that point. She used to tell me that she wanted to live just long enough to see me have a baby. After I had Hope she progressively has not been herself. But regardless of what she does or doesn't remember, she loves the kids. She always has, and probably always will. They seemed most interested in her walker, but they were still good to catch the ball with her and Hope was sweet enough to hug and tell her goodbye. I love you Grandma.....





No comments: