Thursday, January 20, 2011

Christmas

IMG_2552

We didn’t get any pictures from Christmas.  I was a little frazzled this year. I kept waking up at 4 in the morning after the kids birthday because I was worried about not having gotten any presents for anyone Christmas. So I got up that early and went and ordered them online. I did pretty well but was a little impulsive with Bryce because what I wanted to get him was sold out. I ended up getting an overpriced tractor that was a nightmare. It took 5 adults and 2 hours Christmas Eve to put it together and although he loved it, it just didn’t ride well. The crocodile tears I witnessed with his frustration in trying to pedal it was more then I could handle. So, I took it back and last week ordered the original gift I wanted to get him.

Christmas Eve we spent with the Christensen Family. Jared always has the day off and I always love having him for the day. We spent the day playing with cousins, the kids decorated an unbelievable amount of Grandma’s yummy sugar cookies. We had our usual finger food dinner. Since Grandpa is semi-retired this was the first Christmas Eve that he hasn’t had to work in 30 years. For our program we did the nativity story but with the usual Christensen comedy. Josh played songs on his i-phone while the donkey (Uncle Adam- yes, the only donkey we ever use is the one with the hurt back) carried Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem. Both Hope and Sadie wanted to be Mary and neither would resolve herself to being an angel or Sheppard so we had to do the story twice so each girl could star as Mary.  Our costumes consisted of plain colored T-shirts and lots of imagination. Nate gives straight faced side comedy during everything. There is always lots of laughter when we are all together and it is so relaxing and fun. We then were greeted by a visit from Santa who let the kids all sit on his lap and talk to him. Bryce was very apprehensive and sat on Santa’s lap but wouldn’t speak. Of course when he was given a candy cane he did suddenly brightened up ran to me and holding it high in the air said, “I got it! I got a candy cane! I got it!” It was a crack up.

Christmas day we enjoyed with the Formans. It was easy to since we were living there. We did presents and a big yummy breakfast. We tried to talk to Dan on the phone but the connection was horrible (a cell phone in Africa…..I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise) and much to everyone’s disappointment we ended the call after maybe 15 minutes. Lucky for all of us Dan comes home from his mission January 28th and we all knew that we’d be seeing him soon. After another day with no nap and playing we enjoyed stew and pie from our beloved Grandma Cox who is a fantastic cook. (I’d rather eat at her house then any restaurant.) And like always, the day ended all to soon.

We cherish the time with our family, and the time that we were able to spend during December pondering the birth of our Savior. The celebration is such a joyous reminder of the gifts we have because of Jesus Christ. My heart is forever grateful to look into our Children’s eyes and know that because of our Savior that we will can be forgiven of our sins and that we will be resurrected again.  I love how happy Christmas makes people, and to give gifts because it always reminds me of the joy I feel from our Savior’s greatest gift.

No comments: