Sunday, March 11, 2012

Jaundice…….

Well, when we left the hospital Hallee’s jaundice level was higher than wanted so we took home a bili blanket. Every day I got up showered, took Hallee to the hospital to have her blood drawn. Was home a few hours then took her to the doctor to have her looked at and us given the results. After her levels keep going up, we ended up on Wednesday having to admit her back to the hospital. I was so exhausted from the delivery, the constant appointments I just broke down in tears. My Dad was comforting as he told me, “you know sweetie, she is not going to die”. I just wanted to be home with my baby. After 24 hours in the hospital we were released and after being sent home Hallee’s bilirubin number began going up again. They suspected breastmilk jaundice. Yes, its rare but does exist. Back on the bili blanket, feeding formula and pumping breast milk for the next 20 hours and then back on the breast again. FINALLY, after 6 more days of testing and her numbers began consistently going down. It was traumatic for me. But realistically it wasn’t a scary situation for Hallee as she was monitored so closely. After months of debate I am so glad we had switched our insurance to Kaiser. The doctors and facility were wonderful. p33

p30

Ethan kept saying “Hold it!” This is his first time holding her and although it lasted only seconds he loved “it”.

p31p32

p29

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'm glad you're finally done with the jaundice- that is traumatic! I love the family picture, but are you sure you really just had that cute little baby? You look amazing!